- Moderna (modern art)- "A Way of Life" (Swedish Photography from Christer Strömholm until Today) is ongoing with the last day on Feb 15th. An exciting upcoming exhibition is "Sculpture After Sculpture" featuring Jeff Koons, Katharina Fritsch and Charles Ray (Oct 11th, 2014 to Jan 18th, 2015). There are several other smaller ongoing and upcoming exhibitions, check their website for details.
- Fotografiska (photography)- Their current large exhibition is "Anders Petersen" (until Nov 16th) and their upcoming exhibition is "Joyce Tenneson- Light Warriors" (Sep 18th to Nov 23rd).
- National (classic art)- closed for renovations, instead they have temporary exhibitions at Konstakademien (see below).
- Konstakademien (classic art)- The next exhibition is, in collaboration with the State Russian Museum, "From Tsars to Commissars" with significant paintings from Russian history (Oct 2, 2014 to Jan 11th, 2015).
At Konstakademien: Aleksej (born 1925) and Sergej (born 1922) Tkatjov. "Children".(1957-60)
© 2014, State Russian Museum, St. Petersburg
- Millesgården (art & sculpture museum)- looking forward to seeing "Pompeii" which promises some impressive treasures excavated by the Swedish Pompeii Project (Sep 20th, 2014 to May 18th, 2015). While you are there... don't miss the sculpture garden with the work of Carl Milles.
- Waldemarsudde (art gallery/museum)- several good current and upcoming exhibitions, of special note is "Inspiration Matisse!" with works by both Matisse and Scandinavian artists influenced by Matisse (until Fab 15th, 2015).
- Thielska Galleriet (art gallery/museum)- Besides their permanent collection, they have an upcoming exhibition looking at Ernest Thiel's relationship to nature... hunting, art and business. No description in English on their website yet. From Oct 4th to Jan 18th, 2015.
- Artipelag (archipelago art gallery/museum)- the main upcoming exhibition is "Here/Now" featuring 10 Scandinavian artists (Oct 17th, 20147 to Jan 6th, 2015).
- Liljevalchs Konsthall (art gallery/museum)- Upcoming exhibition is "Lena Cronqvist" (Oct 12th, 2014 to Jan 5th, 2015).
- Sven-Harry's Konstmuseum (art gallery/museum)- Current exhibition is "Estrid Ericson: Svensk Tenn's Founder and Style Icon" (until Nov 30th, 2014).
- Bonniers Konsthall (art gallery/museum)- Two current exhibitions: "Experiences from Brazilian Art & Film from the 1960's and 70's" (until Nov 23rd) and "Laura Lima" (until Nov 30th).
- Magasin 3 (art gallery)- Upcoming exhibition: "wizz eyelashes" (Sep 18th to Dec 14th).
These are just the highlights at the major art museums and galleries. Keep in mind that there may be other exhibitions going on at these venues that I haven't mentioned. Check by visiting the venue's website (all linked above). There are also many smaller galleries in the city. If you are staying at the Rival Hotel, check directly with me for information about exhibits at the smaller galleries. I will definitely be visiting Moderna, Fotografiska, Millesgården and Waldemarsudde in the coming months... so check back for my reports!
|At Sven-Harry's: Estrid Ericson's precious possesions. |
Photo by:Lennart Nilsson/Svenskt Tenn